Apply for a council house

Who can have a council house?

  • People with a local connection to the area
  • People assessed as having a housing need
  • People who do not own a property anywhere else which could be used as a home or sold to pay for a home
  • No-one in the household has been guilty of unacceptable behaviour
  • Extra priority is given to people who have made a contribution to the community 
We can be more flexible if: 
  • you are homeless
  • you have served or are serving in the armed forces, or have been living in Ministry of Defence property following the death of your spouse killed in the line of duty
  • you need to escape domestic violence or harassment
  • you live in a council or housing association home in another part of the country and need to move for work

Band one - exceptional housing need

  • homeless households owed a full homeless duty by the city council
  • people with a serious medical conditional or a disability, and living in unsuitable housing
  • people who need to move for health and safety reasons, including people suffering abuse, violence or harassment
  • people who need three bedrooms more than they have available to them

Band two - high housing need

  • people who need two bedrooms more than they have available to them
  • people who need to move because of a medical condition or disability and have been assessed as having a high-priority need
  • people who are ready to move on from supported accomodation and approved premises, including those leaving care
  • people who qualify for a tenancy via discretionary succession

Band three - medium housing need

  • people who are homeless, but where investigations are not yet finished
  • people who need to take up (or continue) employment, education or a training opportunity that is not available elsewhere and who do not live within reasonable commuting distance
  • people experiencing financial hardship as a result of changing circumstances beyond their control
  • people who need to access social services facilities and are unable to travel across the city
  • those who need to move to give or receive care that is substantial and ongoing
  • people who need one more bedroom than they have available to them
  • people whose household includes someone with a medical condition or disability which is linked to unsuitable housing
  • people who live in accomodation which is bigger than they need
  • people eligible for older people's accomodation - including sheltered housing and extra care provision

Band four - low housing need

  • all applicants who do not meet the community contribution criteria but who meet one or more of the following
  • welfare grounds
  • hardship
  • medical grounds - given a medium priority for medical assessment
  • council tenants who are under-occupying by one bedroom
  • households interested in retirement properties with no other housing need
  • overcrowding - short by one bedroom

You will not be considered for a council property if:

  • you are ‘subject to immigration control’ (unless you fall within a class prescribed by regulations as eligible)
  • ​you are not subject to immigration control, but are prescribed by regulation as being ‘persons from abroad’ (this may include British citizens)
  • any person as prescribed by the Secretary of State. 
  • you (or a member of your household) have been guilty of ‘unacceptable behaviour’ and at the time of your application for housing you are still considered unsuitable to be a tenant because of that behaviour
    • Unacceptable behaviour’ is defined as behaviour which would, if you or member of your household was a tenant, legally entitle a landlord to take possession of the home
  • Unacceptable behaviour includes:
    • owing significant rent arrears or failing to comply with a current or past tenancy agreement with a council, registered providers or private landlord to such an extent a court would grant a possession order
    • conviction as a result of illegal or immoral purpose 
    • causing nuisance and annoyance to neighbours or visitors  
    • committing certain criminal offences in or near the home and still posing a threat to neighbours or the community 
    • being violent towards a partner or members of the family 
    • allowing the condition of the property to deteriorate 
    • obtaining the tenancy by deception (for example, by giving untrue information) 

Apply for a council house