Elections 2024

A general election has been called for Thursday 4 July 2024. This is your opportunity to choose a local MP as a representative for Stoke-on-Trent, North, South and Central.

Find out more about the general election and how to vote here...

Apply for EU settlement status

The EU Settlement Scheme enables European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss citizens resident in the UK, and their family members, to get the status they will need to live and work in the UK after June 30, 2021 (or after December 31, 2020 if there is a no deal exit).

Applicants only need to complete three key steps:

  • prove their identity
  • show they live in the UK
  • declare any criminal convictions

It is designed to be as simple and straightforward as possible and will prove their right to work, housing and benefits in the UK.

An EEA citizen with permanent residence status who wishes to continue living in the UK after then will either need to apply to the scheme or, if they prefer and are eligible, apply for British citizenship.

Permanent residence is a status acquired under EU law whereas the scheme secures their status under UK law.

Apply to continue to live in the UK after it leaves the EU

There are more than 80 locations where applicants can have their passport scanned and verified across the UK.

Assisted digital support is available at more than 300 locations, with a network of more than 65 tutors who provide in home support, and there is also a dedicated telephone advice and support service for the scheme.