Giving notice of marriage

In this section

  1. Giving notice of marriage
  2. What you must bring to the appointment

What you must bring to the appointment

  • evidence of both partners' names, dates of birth, nationality and address.
  • your passport
    • or your full birth certificate plus any other photo identification such as a driving licence, rail card or student card
  • full birth certificate
  • photo identification such as a driving licence, rail card or student card
  • if you were born after January 1, 1983, we need a your full birth certificate and the birth certificate of either parent if they were married at the time of your birth or mother's birth certificate only if parents were not married at the time of birth
  • proof of address (such as a recent utility bill or bank statement)
  • evidence any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended (if you are divorced, bring a decree absolute of divorce bearing the court's original stamp)
  • if your husband or wife is deceased bring a certified copy of their death certificate and your marriage certificate
  • change of name deed or statutory declaration document, if you have changed your name
  • proof your parents or guardian give their consent to your marriage or civil partnership, if you are under 18. If your parents are divorced bring the court order confirming which parent or parents' consent is needed

If you do not have any of these documents contact us to discuss alternatives.