For the latest news about the coronavirus pandemic, including important information on local health advice, available services and more, please follow the link.

For the latest update, click here

Giving notice of marriage

In this section

  1. Giving notice of marriage
  2. What you must bring to the appointment

Due to Covid 19 and the recent government restrictions, available notice appointments are currently limited to city residents who have an imminent ceremony.

We are currently working hard to provide appointments in time to facilitate your ceremony. Please contact us at in time to make an appointment that enables the necessary notice period to be observed.

You can marry or register a civil partnership at any register office or approved premises of your choice in England and Wales.

You must give notice of your intention to marry or register a civil partnership in the district in which you live or have lived for the preceding seven days.

The notices must be displayed to the public for 28 days before authority can be given and the ceremony can take place. 

If you are a foreign national subject to immigration control, the notice must also be publicly displayed for a minimum of 28 days. However, in certain circumstances the Home Office may extend the waiting period from 28 days to 70 days before authority can be given and the ceremony can take place.

The notice says where you want to marry or register your civil partnership and is valid for 12 months. The marriage or civil partnership can only take place at the venue you name on the notice so you must choose your venue before you give notice.

You must give notice in person. It cannot be done by someone else or over the telephone. 
How much does it cost?
 Notice  £35 per person
 Notice for people subject to the Home Office referral and investigation scheme  £47 per person
 Booking fee for the notice appointment (Monday to Friday)  £10 per appointment, non-refundable

Tell us you want to make an appointment