Where can we have our civil partnership?

  • register office: book this as far in advance as you want
  • approved premises: we can licence other venues for ceremonies if they are suitable, including hotels, stately homes and other historic buildings. The ceremony is conducted register office staff. You will still need to give notice of marriage or civil partnership in the districts where you live
  • a civil partnership ceremony can take place in the home of a person who is housebound. A doctor must sign a statement confirming that the person is unable to be moved, for a period of three-months, to a place normally registered for civil partnership
  • a civil partnership ceremony can take place at home or in a hospital if a person is terminally ill
  • prison: as long as the prison authorities agree. The other partner will also have to give a notice to the registrar of the district in which they live. The civil partnership must take place within three months of giving the first notice