Tower Block Redevelopment Programme

In this section

  1. Tower Block Redevelopment Programme
  2. General FAQ's
  3. Housing Support and Advice FAQ's

Housing Support and Advice FAQ's

Moving people out of the blocks (permanently decanting)

a) Residents of the blocks that are scheduled for demolition will be advised when the process of decanting will begin.
b) People will be supported to move out of their blocks in a managed way based on the timing of any demolition planned.
c) Properties in blocks not scheduled for demolition in the near future will be relet as and when they become vacant.

a) If you are a council tenant, you will be supported to find suitable alternative accommodation within the council’s housing stock if that is what you would like.
b) Other housing options will also be discussed with tenants such as renting from registered social landlords (housing associations).
c) Tenants of private landlords should speak to their landlord about their intentions, however should the private tenant’s current landlord be unable to assist their tenant with suitable rehousing, the council will support private tenants to find suitable alternative accommodation.
d) The council will also speak to leaseholders to discuss their options.

e) The council allocates all of its own housing stock in accordance with its Allocations Policy.
f) You can read the Allocations Policy here 
g) You can read more about applying for council accommodation here
h) To be eligible for council accommodation you must demonstrate a housing need, which may include being asked to leave your home because it is scheduled for demolition.
i) The council operates a banding system for applicants for council housing and for tenants who are required to move because the council has decided to demolish their home will automatically receive Band 1 – the highest priority banding for individuals and households in need of rehousing. Private tenants and Leaseholders will be assessed to determine their housing need and eligibility for council housing.

Making an Application for council housing

a) When the council believes it is in a position to start moving people out prior to demolition, arrangements will be made to contact you to explain this in more detail and support you to find suitable alternative accommodation.
b) If you are a tenant and want to remain in social housing (either with the council or one of the housing associations with homes in the city) you will be supported to make an application to go on the council’s housing register or housing association list.
c) You will be asked exactly what you are looking for, including where you would like to live, what type and size of property you need and what type of landlord you would prefer (council, registered provider or private landlord). This will help the council to find you a property most suitable for your needs.
d) About 1,000 properties become available within the council’s housing stock each year for letting. We currently have over 2,000 households on the waiting list, so the more flexible you can be in your area of choice, the type of accommodation and even landlord (council or Housing Association), the more likely it is the council will be able to find you a home that meets your needs in a timely fashion.
e) Any home you are offered will be based on your family size which is shown in the table below:

Household Type Number of bedrooms
Single person or couple age over 60 one bedroom(two bedrooms may be considered in cases of medical need)
Single person under 60 one bedroom
Couple, both under 60 one bedroom
Pregnant women (with or without a partner) two bedrooms
Families with one child under 18 two bedrooms
Families with two children of the same sex where both children are under 16 two bedrooms
Families with two children under 16 of the opposite sex, where the older child is over ten three bedrooms
Families with two children of the same sex where the eldest child is over 16 three bedrooms

Offers of Accommodation

a) As soon as your application goes live on the council’s Housing Register the Council will start to look for accommodation in its own stock and that offered to us by Housing Associations in the city that matches your needs and preferences.
b) When a property becomes available for letting, all applicants on the Housing Register who are suitable for that property type and have expressed an interest in the area will be identified and the applicant in the highest band will be offered the accommodation. Where one or more applicants is in the same band, the allocation of that property will be based on the time the applicant has been waiting in that band.
c) The council will make every effort to ensure that the properties it offers meet your needs and preferences. However, demand for certain types of property and areas is high, so you should consider how likely another offer will be made in a reasonable time, if the property is refused because something might not be perfect in every respect. The council may reduce your banding if you continue to refuse what it considers to be reasonable offers.


a) If you need adaptations to your home due to a disability, the council will try to find a property that is already adapted or can be done so easily. This may include having an assessment by the housing occupational therapist who will provide recommendations on the type of property and adaptations you may need.
b) Wherever possible we will look to complete any adaptations before you move into your new home.

Arranging the move

The council will discuss any assistance you may need in moving to your new home once you have accepted an offer of accommodation.

What if I don’t want council or Housing Association accommodation?

The council works with a number of estate agents and private landlords and may be able to support you with a move into a private tenancy, for instance, through our Bond scheme.