How to become an approved premises for marriages and civil partnerships

Suitable properties can apply to become an approved premises, so marriages and civil partnership ceremonies can take place in them. The property:

  • must be a permanent and immovable structure
  • must be regularly available to the public
  • cannot be religious in nature
  • ceremonies can also take place fully outdoors, or under a partially covered structure, within the grounds of approved premises. 
  • it is not possible to apply for approval to only use outdoor areas.

Apply to become an approved premises


Licensing approved premises for civil marriage and civil partnership


Approval of a three-year licence - maximum of two spaces per venue


Application for each additional space