Registered childminders can look after up to six children (including their own) under the age of eight for more than a total of two hours per day.
They do this in their own home for payment (they are self-employed) and are regulated by Ofsted.
To apply to be a registered childminder you must:
- have the right to work in the UK
- be over 18
- be allowed to work with children (you - and anyone else in your home over 16 - will need an enhanced DBS, also known as a criminal record check)
- complete a health declaration booklet with your doctor confirming you are physically and emotionally capable for caring for children
- have a good level of written and spoken English
We run a childminder pre-registration course which covers:
- early years foundation stage
- safeguarding level one
- paediatric first aid
Please note: On submitting your application a deposit of £50 is required, this will be requested from you in the form of an invoice. This invoice must be paid prior to attendance to the course. Failure to pay the deposit will result in your place being cancelled.