Household Support Fund

Stoke on Trent City Council with the help of a wide range of local partners, are distributing support worth £2.68 million on behalf of the Department of Work and Pensions, to support the most vulnerable households across the county with food, utilities, and other essentials over the summer period. 

The money is our share of the government’s £500 million Household Support Fund which will run from 1 April 2022 until the 30 September 2022. The fund is available to support both adults (without dependent children) and families with children and will be made available to vulnerable households who need additional financial support.

Who is eligible for the scheme?

Children and Families

Support for children via the fund will be delivered in line with the previous COVID Support Funds for those who:

  • are in receipt of income related free school meals
  • are in receipt of early years pupil premium and two-year funding
  • are care leavers up to age 25

These families will receive a one-off food voucher for £50 to cover the summer period. For further information on this scheme, please click Food Vouchers | Food Vouchers | Stoke-on-Trent.

Pensioner households

All households where there is a person of pension age (who is 66 years of age on or before 30 September 2022) that is currently claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support will receive a £100 payment (if they are in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit this will be £120). Only one payment will be made per household and it does not have to be repaid. You do not need to apply for this, we will contact you shortly to advise when the payment will be made.

Letters will shortly be sent out to all residents who are entitled to one of these payments, but we do not hold bank details for (if you have received a Council Tax energy rebate of £150 then this is unlikely to apply to you). If you receive one of these letters, it will advise you what you should do next to receive your payment.

Vulnerable adults

Trusted practitioners/professionals, such as Social Workers/Support workers who are supporting vulnerable adults and couples without children in Stoke on Trent who are in situations of ‘genuine need’ will be able to assist and advise on household essentials such as energy/fuel costs, clothing or food vouchers. They will either be able to provide vouchers or refer individuals to partner organisations for support. Referrers must detail the individuals’ circumstances in line with fund eligibility.

What support is available?

  • Shopping, which includes Food and Clothing vouchers
  • Utilities voucher Gas & Electricity

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant, you must speak to your Housing Officer, if you are not aware who your Housing Officer is, please contact 01782 234234.

Other sources of support

Information on services and organisations that are available to offer support is available on our Support Services page. Click the link below:

Support Services

If you require help with food/essentials, you can contact:

If you require advice and information on energy/fuel costs, you can contact:

Please note: If you are a council tenant, you must speak to your Housing Officer, if you are not aware who your Housing Officer is, please contact 01782 234234.