Register a birth

Your baby's birth must be registered within 42 days of their birth.
Their birth should be registerd in the district where the baby was born.
If your baby was born in Stoke-on-Trent, you can make an appointment to register the birth at the register office in Hanley Town Hall. You will be able to buy a certificate at the same time for £11 each.

The baby's mother usually registers the birth but the baby's father can register if he was married to the mother at the time of the birth. 

If the baby's parents are not married, the father's details can be entered into the register if both parents attend together to register the birth. Contact us if this is not possible.
Royal Stoke University Hospital is located in Stoke-on-Trent.
If you register at an office outside Stoke-on-Trent, the registrar will record the details on a form of declaration and send it to us, where we will enter the details onto the birth register. 
You should wait ten days from the date of declaration before applying to us for a certificate. Call the telephone number below to apply for this and pay £11 per certificate, which will be posted to you. 

There are two types of birth certificate you can buy when you register a birth:
  • short certificate containing only the child's name and date of birth
  • full certificate containing parental details along with the child's name and date and place of birth