Garden waste subscriptions

Garden waste subscription packs and bin stickers are on their way! Our teams are aware of who has subscribed and will collect your bin on your next collection date.

More information

Smoke-control areas

Stoke-on-Trent is a smoke-control area by law meaning:

  • you cannot release smoke from a chimney
  • you can only burn authorised fuel, unless you use an appliance approved by Defra (also known as an ‘exempt appliance’ or ‘Defra approved appliance’)

Authorised fuels include:

  • gas
  • electricity
  • anthracite
  • specified brands of manufactured solid smokeless fuels

Exempt appliances are ovens, wood burners and stoves which have passed tests to prove they can burn an unauthorised or smoky solid fuel without emitting smoke. 

Burning coal, logs or wood on an open fire is likely to cause smoke from the chimney. You must only use an approved smokeless fuel. 

Check whether you need planning permission if you are fitting, altering or replacing an external flue, chimney, or soil and vent pipe.

You are allowed garden bonfires in smoke control areas but you need to follow the rules about burning certain types of waste and to prevent bonfires causing a nuisance. Please use the link below for more outdoor burning and bonfire guidance.

Reducing air pollution for outdoor burning