Our City, Our Wellbeing, our new Corporate Strategy for the next four years is here

This plan outlines our vision and key priorities to create a thriving city for everyone. We've identified these priorities based on the challenges and opportunities facing our community.

View the Corporate Strategy here...

Setting up a private hire business

For us to licence you to run a private hire business you must meet certain conditions.

The business's premises must be based in Stoke-on-Trent. 

Hackney carriage and private hire drivers' licence (one-year licence)

  • complete a Hackney carriage or private hire vehicle drivers' licence application form
  • your must have held a driving licence for 12 months when you apply 
  • BTEC certificate in road passenger vehicle driving (or acceptable NVQ equivalent)
  • enhanced disclosure and barring service certificate (must be less than three months old)
  • local knowledge and DDA certificates
  • medical report (must be less than 3 months old)
  • fee paid by cash, credit card or cheque
  • rights to work in the UK ID

Private hire vehicle licence (valid from date of test for 12 months)

  • application form – fee of £242 (12-month licence)
  • insurance to cover private hire use
  • certificate of suitability (MOT) – fee of £61
  • vehicle log book
  • brackets to support plates £26

Private hire operators' licence (five-year licence)

  • application form (contact licensing for the fee)
  • disclosure and barring service certificate (DBS) - Aa standard criminal record disclosure (£26) is required for operators' licence application, unless you are already licensed or have an enhanced level criminal record disclosure (£44) less than three months old.
  • proposed business plan
  • certificate of public liability if you have a waiting room for the public
  • template of door signs to be used - door signs must be permanently fixed and shown on a distinctly contrasting background colour, be positioned on the upper half of the two front doors

Vehicle licences and plates cannot be issued until the driver is licensed to drive.
Vehicle application forms must be counter-signed by an operator, so an operators' licence must be granted before a vehicle can be licensed.
A criminal record will not necessarily bar you from holding a licence.