Our City, Our Wellbeing, our new Corporate Strategy for the next four years is here

This plan outlines our vision and key priorities to create a thriving city for everyone. We've identified these priorities based on the challenges and opportunities facing our community.

View the Corporate Strategy here...

Private Sector Housing support available

Published: Monday, 6th February 2023

Landlords can no longer let or continue to let properties covered by the MEES Regulations if they have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating below ‘E’.

Private Sector Housing support available

Since 1 April 2020, the Government set Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) for all private rented housing.

This means landlords can no longer let or continue to let properties covered by the MEES Regulations if they have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating below ‘E’, unless they have a valid exemption. 

An energy performance certificate (EPC) shows tenants how energy efficient the property is, with an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’ being the least energy efficient properties. An EPC is legally required where a property is being sold or let. An EPC must form part of the right-to-rent pack provided at the start of a new tenancy and landlords are legally required to ensure that an EPC is provided.

These requirements are set out in The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations.

The Private Sector Housing Team at Stoke on Trent City Council is working with Groundwork West Midlands to improve the energy efficiency of properties in Stoke on Trent.

Councillor Carl Edwards, cabinet member for housing and environment said:

“We recognise that rising energy prices affect us all, so it is important that properties are as efficient as possible so that our residents can live safe and healthy lives in warm homes. “

If you live in a privately rented property your landlord should have provided you with a copy of the EPC. The EPC will give an indication of how expensive your property is to heat. If not you can check the EPC rating of your property at Find an energy certificate - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Groundwork West Midlands want to talk with you about the EPC of your property. They offer free, impartial advice and support to help you save energy, reduce your bills, and live in a warmer, more comfortable home. They will also contact your landlord and their agent with advice and useful information on what landlords can do to make their rental properties more energy efficient and move them up to an E rating – if they currently have an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’.

We would like to encourage landlords to contact Groundwork West Midlands to seek free advice to improve their property portfolio. For help and advice on how to become compliant please contact Groundwork West Midlands on 01782 829909 or wmgreendoctor@groundwork.org.uk.

Landlords who continue to let sub-standard property (EPC bands F and G) but who have not registered a valid exemption may be liable to financial penalties and other actions by way of enforcement.

The Private Sector Housing Team at the Council already works to investigate and improve the condition of rented properties in the city. If you are a tenant who is concerned about the condition of your rented property you can report your concerns at Bad landlords wreck lives | Tell us about issues with your landlord | Stoke-on-Trent