Elections 2023

From May 4 2023, voters in England will need to show photographic ID to vote at polling stations in some elections, including Stoke-on-Trent’s upcoming local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

Find out more here...

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

In this section

  1. Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards
  2. FAQ's


What is an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. Before a property is marketed to sell or rent, an EPC for potential buyers and tenants must be provided. An EPC contains:

  • Information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs
  • Recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to a G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. Landlords can be fined if they don’t get an EPC when they need one.

You can check your EPC rating and find local EPC assessors on the EPC Register.


Are some properties exempt from the scheme?

Properties that are legally required to have an EPC, are let on a relevant tenancy type and cannot be improved to meet the minimum E Rating may be exempt from MEES regulations.

Exemptions are defined as:

  • High cost exemptions
  • All improvements made exemptions
  • Wall insulation exemptions
  • Consent exemptions
  • Devaluation exemptions
  • New landlord exemptions

Find out more about exemptions on gov.uk. 

The landlord must register the exemption here.


What help is available?
The Private Sector Housing Team at Stoke on Trent City Council are working with Groundwork West Midlands to improve the energy efficiency of properties in Stoke on Trent.

Please contact the Groundworks Team on 01782 829909 to see what assistance Groundworks can offer you.

The government is currently consulting on changes to the minimum energy efficiency standards in the private rented sector. One of the proposals is to increase the minimum EPC rating to C on new tenancies by 2025 and all tenancies by 2028. You can find out more at: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/improving-the-energy-performance-of-privately-rented-homes.

Simple Energy Advice and Energy Saving Trust also provide helpful advice and guidance on how to improve the energy efficiency of properties.