Our City, Our Wellbeing, our new Corporate Strategy for the next four years is here

This plan outlines our vision and key priorities to create a thriving city for everyone. We've identified these priorities based on the challenges and opportunities facing our community.

View the Corporate Strategy here...

Changing schools - In Year Transfers

Changing schools - In-Year Transfers

Pupils usually start school in September (for example in Reception or Year 7).

Sometimes your child may need to start or change school at a different time of year because:

  • you move house, either into or within Stoke-on-Trent;
  • you want your child to change schools for other reasons.

Here you will find helpful information on what to do if your child needs to move schools during the school year.

You will need to fill in an In-Year Transfer (application) form.  You can get this from the school you would like your child to attend.  Ask them for an application form, fill it in and return it to them. You will need to provide proof of your address.  A school must give you an application form, even if they are already at capacity.  If you do not apply, you will not go on the waiting list and will not have the right of appeal.

Stoke-on-Trent Admissions Team do not co-ordinate In-Year Transfers for schools in Stoke-on-Trent as each school manages their own applications.  On the school’s website you will find

  • information about how to apply for a school place
  • when you will be notified of the outcome of your application, and
  • details about the right to appeal.

The website details of every school in Stoke-on-Trent can be found in

Primary Prospectus

Secondary Prospectus

What happens after I apply?

If the school you request has places, your child will be offered a place and an admission meeting will be arranged.

If the school does not offer a place, your child will be added to the waiting list and the Local Authority will advise you of the nearest school with a place. 

Right of Appeal

If your child is not offered a school place, you have the right to appeal.  Some schools use the Local Authority Appeal service, whilst others make their own arrangements.  You can find details on the school’s website, or contact the Stoke-on-Trent Admissions Team via email in-yearadmissions@stoke.gov.uk or by telephone on 01782 237856.

Waiting lists:

Some families apply for places at more than one school.  If you are unsuccessful, you should confirm with the school that your child has gone on the waiting list. 

Children on the waiting list will be ranked in accordance with the published admission criteria and the list will operate until the end of the summer term, at which time they will be closed.  To go on the waiting list for the following academic year, you will need to submit a new application.  Applications can be made for the new academic year from the start of July.

Inclusion on a school’s waiting list does not mean that a place will eventually become available.  A child's position on a waiting list is not static and is subject to change during the school year.  If you would like to know your child's position on the waiting list, you will need to contact the school.

If you are moving out of Stoke-on-Trent and want to apply for a place elsewhere, you should contact the Local Authority (Council) for that area.

Fair Access Protocol

If you have been unable to secure a school place for your child, you may be eligible for admission under the Local Authority’s Fair Access Protocol

Please note: There is no duty on local authorities or school admission authorities to meet parents’ preferences when offering places under this Protocol.