Section 171 Licence

An approved Section 171 Licence gives permission for an applicant to temporarily deposit building materials or other items in the highway or to temporarily excavate in the highway.

Please note: a Section 50 Streetworks Licence is required if works are in relation to apparatus (unless acting under a statutory right).

A 'highway' is a road, verge, footway, public footpath or bridleway.

To apply for a Section 171 licence, email


Fees must be paid with the application:

Temporarily excavate in the highway
Cost: £200.