Elections 2024

A general election has been called for Thursday 4 July 2024. This is your opportunity to choose a local MP as a representative for Stoke-on-Trent, North, South and Central.

Find out more about the general election and how to vote here...

Apply to close the highway

Sometimes activity on the highway requires a temporary speed limit reduction, a temporary suspension of a one way system, a temporary prohibition of right turn or a suspension of on-street parking. Such closures require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) issued by the highway authority.

Please note: 'Highway' is a road, verge, footway, public footpath or bridleway.

All administrative costs for a TTRO and associated signing will have to be met by the person or organisation requesting the TTRO.

Please be aware that the Stoke-on-Trent City Council may not grant a TTRO therefore it is recommended that you contact us to check that the activity will be able to go ahead before it is publicised.

As there is a legal and consultative process to be undertaken, at least twelve weeks’ notice of TTRO is required (longer on bus routes).

We will only agree to a TTRO if no other feasible solution can be found. You will not be granted a TTRO to locate site accommodation or store materials on the highway.

You must ensure that delays are minimised and whenever practical you must:

  • maximise the working day e.g. working 24 hours/7 days a week
  • avoid peak times
  • use alternative traffic control where possible
  • use a suitable diversion route if required.

To apply for a TTRO for works on the highway, email streetworks@stoke.gov.uk.