
Residents, businesses and community groups are being asked what more can be done to make Stoke-on-Trent a more inclusive and welcoming place to live.
People from all backgrounds are being invited to share their experiences of living, working or studying in the city as part of major listening exercise which is being carried out as part of the One Stoke-on-Trent campaign.
Backed by £600,000 from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government’s Community Recovery Fund, the campaign – which brings together leaders from across the city council, emergency services, schools and colleges, football clubs and faith and voluntary organisations - was launched in February on the back of the public disorder in August 2024 which saw hundreds of protestors descend on the city centre.
Over the past five weeks, Protection Approaches, a UK charity specialising in inclusion, cohesion and community resilience, has been carrying out the listening exercise to help build a deeper understanding of what brings communities together – and keeps them apart. So far, the organisation engaged with more than 600 people across 41 community activities.
Now an online survey has been launched to help the city further understand what people like about Stoke-on-Trent, what concerns they have and what their hopes are for the future.
Councillor Jane Ashworth, leader of Stoke-on-Trent City Council, said: “This is a really important. It will help us to understand how people experience life in Stoke-on-Trent today. It will also give us a vital insight into what more can – and needs – to be done to ensure our city is a place where everyone feels welcome, heard and able to thrive.
“This is an opportunity for people from all backgrounds to help shape the future of Stoke-on-Trent and ensure the city is a more connected and inclusive place to live, work and visit. We are ready to listen and we value your opinion, so please have your say. We can’t do this without you.”
Andy Fearn, co-executive director of Protection Approaches, said “It’s been fantastic in recent weeks to hear from so many people across Stoke-on-Trent about their experiences, hopes, and ideas for the future but we want to make sure every voice is heard.
“Whether you’ve been here all your life or have recently made the city your home, we encourage you to share your views in this short online questionnaire to help shape a Stoke-on-Trent that is inclusive, welcoming and reflects the kindness of its communities.”
The online questionnaire is now live. The responses will remain anonymous but the results will be shared with members of the One Stoke-on-Trent board to help members devise and develop a new Community Cohesion Strategy for the city.
To fill in the online survey, visit: One Stoke-on-Trent - Community Insights Questionnaire or for more information contact Protection Approaches via email at info@protectionapproaches.org or call 020 3859 9509. The deadline for responses is midnight on Sunday 21 September.
- More articles in the news archive
- Stoke-on-Trent news RSS feed