Our City, Our Wellbeing, our new Corporate Strategy for the next four years is here

This plan outlines our vision and key priorities to create a thriving city for everyone. We've identified these priorities based on the challenges and opportunities facing our community.

View the Corporate Strategy here...

Tenants reminded to report housing repairs to their landlord

Published: Monday, 5th February 2024

As part of its commitment to ensuring everyone can live in a safe, warm and well-maintained home, Stoke-on-Trent City Council is reminding residents to report any housing repairs to their landlord.

Anyone who has an issue with their home – including damp and mould, broken doors or windows and leaking pipes - should contact the city council, or their respective landlord, who will ensure all repairs are completed as quickly as possible. Tenants also have the right to complain if the landlord does not get it right.

The call to action comes as Stoke-on-Trent City Council, like many other local authorities across the country, receives an increasing number of reports of claims management companies operating in the city, attempting to persuade residents to pursue ‘no win, no fee’ claims for housing repairs.

Councillor Chris Robinson, cabinet member for housing, regeneration and planning, said: “Everyone deserves to live in a safe and secure home. For anyone wishing to report an issue with their council house, the first step should always be to contact us, your landlord, directly.

“We will endeavour to complete the necessary repairs as quickly as possible, however, when this does not happen, it is your right as a tenant to lodge a complaint with us. We will investigate and compensate you, if necessary. You can also contact the Housing Ombudsman for free, independent advice.

“We would strongly urge against using companies operating a ‘no win, no fee’ claims policy and would like to remind residents to exercise caution when engaging with these organisations.”

The national ‘Make Things Right’ campaign was launched last year to raise awareness of the complaints process for social housing tenants which is:

  1. Report it to your landlord
  2. Complain to your landlord and ask for compensation
  3. Escalate to the Housing Ombudsman.

For more information visit: www.socialhousingcomplaints.campaign.gov.uk.