***Royal Mail Strike Action*** Ongoing strike action continues to impact on delivery of certificates. Please be aware that there may also be a delay of certificates posted out on the days immediately prior to and after strike action.
Applications will continue to be taken and processed as usual however the service cannot be responsible for delays in receipt of copy certificates due to the postal strike
Please Note: Applications for certificates for historic / family history purposes are currently CLOSED, if you submit an application of this kind it will not be processed and you will be offered a refund.
The service is currently experiencing high demand for copy certificates.
- Please only apply for certificates you require urgently i.e. for legal purposes, proof of ID etc
- We aim to produce certificates within 15 working days of application unfortunately during times of high demand this is not always possible
- The Register Office remains closed for walk-in applications.
We hold records for all births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships in Stoke on Trent since 1837. If the event happened outside Stoke-on-Trent, contact the register office where it took place or the General Register Office
Royal Stoke University Hospital is in Stoke-on-Trent.
Douglas Macmillan Hospice is not in Stoke-on-Trent . Call Staffordshire registration service on 0300 111 8001 to request a certificate issued here.
Marriage Certificates following ceremonies in the Church of England and other religious buildings. Since the law changed in May 2021 it is no longer possible to be given a marriage certificate on the day of a ceremony. The document the couple and witnesses sign during the marriage ceremony must be delivered to Stoke on Trent Register Office no later than 21 days after the ceremony. The marriage cannot be registered until the signed document has been received by the Registrar. After the marriage registration has been completed any pre-ordered marriage certificate(s) that you have already paid for can be issued and posted to you.
- Staff will not contact you once the marriage has been registered. It is your responsibility to submit an application and pay for any certificate(s) you require.
- Details from the registers can be released in the form of a certified copy certificate. This is produced at a legally-set fee.
- We can issue a certificate to anyone who is able to give us the date of the event and the full personal details of the person whose certificate is needed. No proof of identity is necessary.
- You will need to supply us with enough information so we can find the record.
- We will search indexes for a period of three years but only where accurate details are provided.