For the latest news about the coronavirus pandemic, including important information on local health advice, available services and more, please follow the link.

For the latest update, click here

Fair processing notices - Customer feedback team

How we use your data

We are a data controller for the personal information we hold about you in relation to compliments, comments, complaints, MP enquiries and service requests.

To comply with data protection legislation we must be sure you understand how we use this information.
The data will be used:

  • to ensure you receive a response to any complaint, comment or service request you make to us
  • to enable details of any compliment you make to be shared with the appropriate service
  • to enable the city council to respond to enquiries raised by your MP on your behalf
  • to enable the city council to report on trends in complaints, comments, compliments and MP enquiries
  • to alert safeguarding services where there are concerns about vulnerable children or adults

We are able to do this because the following legislation requires us to provide these services:

  • The Local Government Act 1972
  • The Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009
  • The Children Act 1989 Representations Procedure (England) Regulations 2006
  • The Data Protection (Processing of Sensitive Personal Data)(Elected Representatives) Order 2002

We have a duty to protect public funds so may use the information we have for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may share this information with other bodies for these purposes. We may also share this information with other parts of the council or other relevant organisations for purposes which may include enforcement.

We may share data with our internal audit team to evaluate the effectiveness of the organisation’s risk management, control and governance processes.  We may also share your data with the council's fraud team to help to prevent and detect fraud.

Data protection law provides you with certain rights, however not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations. Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.

  • you can ask to see the information that we hold about you
  • you can ask what is being done with the information that we hold about you
  • you can ask to have some data that we hold about you deleted
  • you can ask us to review a decision made about you by a computer, and ask for a new decision to be made without a computer
  • you can ask us to stop processing data that we hold about you, but only in limited circumstances, such as processing for research, historical or direct marketing reasons
  • you can ask us to make changes to inaccurate data
  • you can ask us to move your information somewhere else
  • you can ask us to restrict or limit what we do with your data, for example if you believe that data we hold is inaccurate, or you believe the processing in unlawful
Who to contact if you have questions

If you wish to contact us in relation to any of your information rights, email or write to Information Rights Team, Floor 2, Civic Centre, Glebe Street, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 1HH.

Complete the online form

If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by Stoke-on-Trent City Council, contact the information rights team in the first instance using the details above. If you are not satisfied you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, or call 03031231113

Information Commissioner's Office website