Our City, Our Wellbeing, our new Corporate Strategy for the next four years is here

This plan outlines our vision and key priorities to create a thriving city for everyone. We've identified these priorities based on the challenges and opportunities facing our community.

View the Corporate Strategy here...

Fair processing notices - Bereavement care

How we use your data

At Stoke-on-Trent City Council we take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons the law requires or allows.  We are a data controller for the personal information we hold about you in relation to the bereavement care service. In order to comply with data protection legislation we must be sure you understand how we use this information.

The data will be used to provide the burial and cremation functions of the bereavement care service in accordance with the Local Authorities Cemeteries Order 1977, the Cremation Regulations 2008 and Cremation Acts 1902 & 1952. We are able to do this because the legislation says we must do it.

We might also share some of your information with other agencies such as:

  • funeral directors
  • memorial masons
  • solicitors

Data held for the administration of burial, cremation and memorialisation is retained permanently. 

Data protection law provides you with certain rights, however not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations. Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.

A full list of the rights you may have, under data protection law, is given below:  

  • you can ask to see the information we hold about you
  • you can ask what is being done with the information we hold about you
  • you can ask to have some of the data we hold about you deleted
  • you can ask us to review a decision made about you by a computer, and ask for a new decision to be made by a person
  • you can ask us to stop processing the data we hold about you
  • you can ask us to make changes to data about you that you believe is inaccurate
  • in some circumstances you can ask us to help you move your information to another organisation
  • you can ask us to restrict or limit what we do with your data, for example if you believe the data we hold is inaccurate, or if you believe the processing in unlawful

We may share data with our internal audit team to evaluate the effectiveness of the organisation’s risk management, control and governance processes.  We may also share your data with the council's fraud team to help to prevent and detect fraud.

Who to contact if you have questions

If you wish to contact us in relation to any of your information rights, contact the Information Rights Team at foi@stoke.gov.uk or Information Rights Team, Floor 2, Civic Centre, Glebe Street, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 1HH or you can complete the online form.

Complete the online feedback and data request form

If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by Stoke-on-Trent City Council, contact the information rights team in the first instance. 

If you are not satisfied you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, or call 0303 123 1113.

Information Commissioner's Office website