Civic leaders have welcomed plans brought forward to develop a redundant factory site and build new homes for the city.
Developer St Modwen Homes is to consult on plans to turn the former Royal Doulton Works, in Burslem, into an approximately 200-home housing development – helping to breathe new life in the town.
The plans are still in development, with a public consultation being held on January 22. It will take place at The George Hotel, on Swan Square, between 6pm and 8pm.
This news is further evidence of investment and growth in Burslem, and follows Stoke-on-Trent City Council’s strategy to regenerate brownfield land across the city with high quality new homes and help to grow the economy.
It follows on from previous council investment in the town, including £500k in public realm improvements, spending £2m of Heritage Lottery Fund money to rejuvenate the Victorian park – restoring terracotta terraces, bandstands and buildings – and spending £11.3 million on more than 50 properties as part of Townscape Heritage Initiative funding.
The Nile Street site is being brought back into use thanks to part of a £10 million Housing Infrastructure Fund (HIF) pot secured by Stoke-on-Trent City Council from the government. The authority is using the funding to transform nine long-standing vacant sites in the Burslem and Middleport areas, making them ready for development.
Councillor Randy Conteh, the city council’s cabinet member for housing, communities and safer city, said: “When we applied for a grant from the HIF, this is exactly what we wanted to see happening. Many of the nine sites identified in Burslem and Middleport have been derelict, vacant and undeveloped for more than 10 years due to significant ground contamination and stability issues.
“We’re now in a position to bring forward residential-led regeneration, and St Modwen Homes coming on board is really positive news. Bringing more people into Burslem will be a huge boost for the town and the city.
“It was only just before Christmas that we announced our multi-million-pound housing-led regeneration plans in Shelton and the city centre, and this latest development is just one more piece of the jigsaw in terms of our commitment to housing growth and providing quality homes for all our residents.
“This news is another sign of increased confidence and pride in the city and that Stoke-on-Trent really is on the up.”
Councillor Daniel Jellyman, cabinet member for regeneration, transport and heritage, said: “This is fantastic news for Burslem, and for the city as a whole. We’re helping to bring brownfield land back into constructive use, and ensuring people who want to live in Stoke-on-Trent have the accommodation they want.
“We look forward to seeing the plans from St Modwen Homes progress, and encourage as many people as possible to get involved in the consultation process.”
Dave Smith, managing director for St Modwen Homes, said: “We are delighted to be working with Stoke-on-Trent City Council to bring forward much-needed new homes on the site of the former Royal Doulton factory in Burslem.
“A public consultation event will be held on January 22, where further information will be made available and we would welcome feedback and comments from the community regarding this proposal. We will listen to comments, amend as appropriate and then bring forward a planning application.
“As part of the scheme, we will look to reposition the war memorial that was previously sited on this land.
“We believe that investment in this site will support Burslem by providing additional footfall in the town and much-needed homes for the area. We are committed to delivering an exceptional scheme on this significantly important site for the city.”