Innovative housing scheme would rejuvenate two city sites with 380 affordable homes

Published: Thursday, 6th December 2018

Plans to transform two areas of the city with 380 new affordable homes have been revealed, under an innovative scheme developed by the city council.

Cleared brownfield land in Pyenest Street, Shelton and a 1960s housing scheme at the top of Bucknall New Road, Hanley would be rejuvenated with high quality, energy efficient rented properties as part of the proposals.

Stoke-on-Trent City Council’s cabinet is set to consider the scheme at a meeting next week (Tuesday 11 December), in a programme that would see the authority innovatively join up with a social property investor and apply for government funding for the works.

The plans would see a total of 379 new homes build across the two sites, with 226 apartments at Bucknall New Road, and 51 apartments and 62 houses at Pyenest Street. A total of 155 low rise flats and maisonettes at Bucknall New Road would be cleared, creating a net gain of 224 new high quality affordable homes.

Councillor Randy Conteh, cabinet member for housing, communities and safer city, said: “This is a major initiative for the city and the first time a scheme of this scale and ambition has been developed. The government is looking at our project as a pioneering new way to build and deliver affordable homes.

“We are committed to providing the best quality accommodation for our residents, and across the city we are regenerating large areas of brownfield land with homes that meet the needs of local people.

“Our public finances only stretch so far, and the demand for new and affordable homes is growing all the time. These proposals not only provide an innovative way to help meet this demand, but will also redevelop two sites that are in a real need of investment.”

The council has been consulting with residents in the Bucknall New Road area for more than 12 months on a masterplan to redevelop the site. Proposals for new homes are based on feedback from residents who had asked for more rented housing to be built, in particular one-bedroom apartments suited to older people, and family housing. Plans to redevelop the site also include more car parking, improved waste management facilities, extra security and landscaping. The council has already refurbished three of its five high-rise residential blocks in the area, and as part of the masterplan, the council would continue this work with Wellington Court and Westwood Court becoming supported living accommodation.

Councillor Conteh said: “These are exciting proposals, developed in conjunction with local people. We will be working very closely with our tenants every step of the way on these plans to ensure they are informed and have all the support they need.”

For all media enquiries please contact the Communications Department at Stoke-on-Trent City Council on 01782 232671.