Views wanted on £26.5 million investment into town

Published: Monday, 11th June 2018

Residents and market traders are being asked for their views on plans to invest £26.5 million in a Stoke-on-Trent town.

Stoke-on-Trent City Council wants to develop two sites in Fenton as part of a wider investment in the area. The aim is to provide around 160 new, high quality homes and to improve the local market and local centre services.

The two council-owned sites are the former Workshop site – previously known as the ‘Stoke Workshop for the Blind and Disabled’ – and the local centre and car park, off City Road.

Alongside the £8 million new-build scheme currently under construction at the sheltered housing complex Queen Elizabeth II Court, these plans would see an additional £18.5 million invested into Fenton. Funding would be provided by the Housing Revenue Account capital programme and an anticipated grant from Homes England.

Proposed plans include the part-demolition of the former Workshop, which has been empty since 2013, and the building of an apartment block of approximately 68 homes for supported accommodation – mainly for older people – as well as a mixture of two and three-bedroom family homes at the entrance to the site. The existing frontage of the main Workshop building would be preserved.

The second site currently contains the council’s local centre and a car park that hosts the weekly Fenton outdoor market. The proposal is to demolish the local centre, with services relocated to the refurbished town hall on Baker Street. A new public car park would be provided in this area, which would host the traders on market day.

Two apartment blocks with private parking would be built on the site. They are being specially designed so people on City Road would still be able to see through to the market and the cenotaph in Albert Square.

The plans also include options to make improvements to the public realm around the new-build apartment blocks, the new car park and market area and into Albert Square. This could see Albert Square refurbished around the cenotaph to enhance the public realm and create a useable space.

Cabinet members have given the scheme the go-ahead and the authority now wants to hear residents’ and local traders’ views on how best to progress the

sites.

Two consultation events will take place this week:

  • Wednesday, June 13, 1.30pm-6pm – at The Hub, 28a Christchurch Street, Fenton.
  • Thursday, June 14, 9am-12pm – on the City Road car park, within Fenton Market.

Councillor Randy Conteh, cabinet member for housing, communities and safer city said: “Plans for new homes is great news for the city and a fantastic boost for Fenton. We are committed to investing in all of our towns and supporting housing growth in Fenton. The plans for these homes are much needed and this is a major new scheme for the town.

“The new homes will offer a choice of housing, with proposals for a modern supported housing scheme largely for older people, family homes, and contemporary apartments. 

“Moving the local centre into the refurbished town hall – a building that has become an important community hub – will increase footfall and add to the building’s significance as a resource for local people.”

Councillor Daniel Jellyman, cabinet member for regeneration, transport and heritage, said: “We are investing in Fenton to increase the footfall through the town and strengthen the economy – which in turn will accelerate local businesses and growth. This is another example of how we are regenerating our great city. New housing will support the existing market trade and increase opportunities for our hardworking traders. It will also boost other businesses in the town.

“It’s really important to us that we hear what residents and market traders think about these ambitious plans, and I would encourage everyone to take part in the consultation.”

From June 13, people can view the proposed development plans and provide feedback at www.stoke.gov.uk/fentondevelopment. All feedback must be received by June 28, after which it will be considered while the final plans are draw up.

For all media enquiries please contact the Communications Department at Stoke-on-Trent City Council on 01782 232265.