Independent Living

The council wants to support people to live safe and independent at home wherever possible.  Two of the supports we can offer are Telecare and community equipment.


Telecare (also known as Assistive Technology) is the use of equipment around the home to help people stay safe and remain independent.  This could be through a range of different types of equipment, such as:

  • a pendant that you press if you need help (perhaps after falling over, or because you feel unwell)
  • a smoke detector linked to a monitoring station, so someone will phone the fire service straight away
  • a bogus caller button next to your front door - if you are concerned about a person who comes to your door, you can press and talk to someone immediately
  • sensors to turn on the lights if you get out of bed at night, so you do not trip over anything in the dark.

The Telecare and Lifeline service is a part of Stoke-on-Trent City Council, and provides these kinds of equipment.  We provide, fit and maintain the equipment, and monitor it from Stoke-on-Trent based control centre.  If you need support, our team is there 24 hours a day, every single day to answer your calls and give assistance.  We can:

  • call your relatives or friends if that is what you want us to do
  • send out a well trained responder to help pick you up after a fall, or to check on you if you are unwell
  • call an ambulance or fire engine if you need one

Many people choose to purchase these services from us (we call this the Lifeline service), but some people who are eligible for social care support do get the equipment and services paid for by us (through what we call the Telecare service).  Either way, Telecare provides peace of mind and supports people to stay safe and independent at home.

For more information, please click on one of the links to the left of this page. 

If you want to contact us to purchase these services, please phone us on 01782 234545. 


Community equipment is any sorts of aid to help you do the things you need to do at home - things like:

  • a grab rail fitted to your wall that you can hold onto
  • a bath board that you can sit on in the bath, to make it easier to get in and out
  • a walking stick or walking frame
  • a hoist that a carer can use to help you out of the bath or bed

Stoke-on-Trent City Council and our Health partners run an Integrated Community Equipment Service (ICES) to loan this equipment to people who are eligible for social care support.  We loan the equipment, fit it where required, and maintain it - and we also come to collect it when people no longer need it.  There is no charge for this service.

For more information, please click on the link to the left of the page.