Life’s Better Smokefree
On Sunday 1 July 2007 a new law came into force making nearly all "enclosed" and "substantially enclosed" public places and workplaces smoke-free.
We are responsible for enforcing this legislation. You can find a link to this information called Smokefree England.
What is the “Life’s Better Smokefree” campaign?
• Promotion of the Breathe Easy Award in work premises;
• Smoke-free education in schools;
• Smoke-free 4 Life activity pack for Brownies and Cubs groups in Stoke-on-Trent
• Smoking cessation support in the community;
• Trading Standards “Knockback” campaign – Smoke-free legislation compliance checks for under age sales in licensed premises and enforcement of counterfeit and non-duty paid tobacco products; and
• Promotion of the Fake Tobacco hotline to encourage reporting of sellers of fake tobacco and other fake goods
Who are we working with to achieve this?
The Public Protection service is working with NHS Stoke-on-Trent, Revenue and Customs and Staffordshire County Council.
This multi-agency approach combines skills, capacity, resources and legal remit. The joined up work aims to tackle all aspects of tobacco control simultaneously for maximum effect.
What do we hope to achieve?
A raised awareness and better understanding of the damage to health caused by smoking and exposure to second hand smoke.
To promote the smoking cessation support that is available in the community.
To create an environment that promotes non-smoking as the norm.
To identify premises which are not complying with the point of sale advertising or smoke-free legislation and take appropriate enforcement action.
To identify premises that engage in illegal under age sales or the supply of counterfeit tobacco products with a view to prosecution.
Contact us for more information.
Stoke-on-Trent City Council
PO Box 2452, Hanley Town Hall,
Albion Street, Hanley
Telephone us on: 01782 232065
Fax us on: 01782 236496
Email us at: PublicProtection@stoke.gov.uk
Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5pm
Friday 8.30am – 4:30pm