There are two main overview and scrutiny roles:
Holding decision-makers to account (scrutiny)
Overview and Scrutiny councilors can question decision-makers from the Council (Cabinet members and senior officers) and other public service providers about decisions and services in the City.
It is about councillors representing people’s collective interests to ensure public services are provided in the way people want within the limited money available.
Policy development and review (overview)
A more pro-active role is to look at draft policies and service proposals before they are considered and approved by decision-takers. Anything that councillors comment on or recommend is considered by decision-makers before policies and services plans are approved. Councillors can also review policy or develop new policy.
- Adults and Neighbourhoods Overview and
Scrutiny Committee (click to view details)
covering adult social care, commissioning, housing and Public Health. Also fulfils the role of statutory health and crime and disorder scrutiny.
- Children and Young People’s Overview
and Scrutiny Committee (click to view details)
covering education (0-19 years old), children's social care and safeguarding. Also fulfils the role of statutory education scrutiny.
- City Renewal Overview and Scrutiny Committee
(click to view details)
covering planning, transport, property and economic development.
- Corporate Services Overview and Scrutiny
Committee (click to view details)
covering services such as finance, IT, human resources and communications.
You can also register for free on this page to receive electronic agendas of the meetings to your e-mail address.
The following task and finish group is taking place at present
- Leases: Process and Delivery - the Corporate Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee has set this up to understand the process and policy that presently exists for the Council to negotiate commercial leases, third party leases and leases with individual citizens.
How can you take part?
- You can attend the public committee meetings (follow the links above for further detail)
- You can contribute to requests for information that are posted on this web-site. Requests for information are also made from the Council’s facebook and Twitter pages.
- You can make suggestions for overview and scrutiny to look at particular topics that are a collective issue for people in the City by completing a suggestion form.
Want to know more?
Further information can be obtained from overview and scrutiny team on (01782) 233018 / 232723, or by e-mail to email@example.com
You can also view the national Centre for Public Scrutiny website - www.cfps.org.uk
The documents below, which can be viewed or downloaded, provide a guide to overview and scrutiny in Stoke-on-Trent, including how you can become involved.