Customer Feedback

photographs of people giving feedback


Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond our control we are receiving an unprecedented level of demand which is impacting current waiting times when calling through to speak to an advisor at Customer Services.

Please be assured we are aware of the issue and are doing everything we can to resolve the matter as soon as possible. We are not formally responding to complaints/comments regarding waiting times at the moment but we thank you for your valuable feedback.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you feel that we have got it wrong or have given you a poor service tell the member of staff or their supervisor as this can often be the quickest way of sorting things out. They will not treat your comments as a formal complaint (unless you ask them to) but they will use your comments and take appropriate action, or give you information.

Our online form will be offline from 12 midnight on Monday 3rd November until 2pm on Tuesday 4th 2014.

  • Click here to fill in our online form
  • telephone us at 01782 234234
  • write to us at: Customer Feedback Team, Floor 2, Civic Centre, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 1HH.
  • ask a member of staff or to log your feedback for you
  • download and print a copy of our Customer Feedback Leaflet via the link below


What happens when I make a complaint?

Stage 1
You can make a complaint either

Our online form will be offline from 12 midnight on Monday 3rd November until 2pm on Tuesday 4th 2014.

We aim to respond to you within 10 working days. If the complaint is more complicated we may take longer to sort it out but we will keep you informed.

To track the progress of your feedback please click here:

Stage 2
If you are still not happy, you can ask to have the matter investigated by an independent investigator within the council. This review will be conducted by a Complaint Investigation Officer together with a senior manager not involved in the original complaint.

We will acknowledge your complaint within two working days and reach a decision within 20 working days. To request a Stage 2, please outline by letter or email the reasons why you are still dissatisfied and the outcome you require.  This should be sent to the Customer Feedback Team, Floor 2, Civic Centre, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 1HH or please email


What happens if I am still not happy with the outcome of my complaint?

If you have been through stages 1 and 2 and are still not satisfied, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman and their contact details are:

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

You can get more information on the Local Government Ombudsman by calling their advice line on 0300 061 0614 or visiting their website at


For Housing relating complaints:-

From 1 April 2013, if you are a tenant or leaseholder, complaints about the council as your landlord will be considered by the Housing Ombudsman Service. This means complaints about the relationship of the council as landlord with its tenants and leaseholders need to be made to the Housing Ombudsman Service and NOT the Local Government Ombudsman.
The Housing Ombudsman can only consider complaints that have been referred by either:

  • a ‘designated person’ (MP, councillor or recognised tenant panel), or
  • by the tenant themselves where the designated person was unable to resolve the matter OR
  • by the tenant themselves after 8 weeks have passed from the completion of the council’s internal complaint process (where a designated person is NOT used).

Role of the Designated Person
The role of the designated person is to assist in resolving tenant complaints. They are there to provide an independent perspective on problems and work with tenants and landlords to find local solutions to housing related complaints. They may also if appropriate refer a complaint direct to the Housing Ombudsman Service

A “designated person” is:

  1. A Designated Tenant Panel
  2. Your Member of Parliament (MP)
  3. Your local Councilor

The Designated Tenant Panel has been recognised by Stoke on Trent City Council and is made up of representatives from the council’s Tenants Board.

If you want to contact the Tenants Panel, please contact the Customer Feedback Team for details.

You may also contact your local councilor or MP details of which can be found at

If you are unhappy with the response to your stage 2 housing related complaint you can contact one of the designated persons straight away for assistance.

The designated person can refer your complaint straight away to the Housing Ombudsman Service or can assist you in resolving the complaint. If the designated person cannot help or refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman Service you may now contact the Housing Ombudsman Service direct.

If you choose not to use a designated person you can still refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman service but you must wait 8 weeks from the date of the response to your stage 2 complaint.

All referrals to the Housing Ombudsman Service MUST be in writing to

The Housing Ombudsman Service
81 Aldwych,

You can get more information on the Housing Ombudsman Service by calling their advice line on 0300 111 3000 or visiting their website at


Related Files: