Councillors, MPs, MEPs and the Police and Crime Commissioner

Councillors in Stoke-on-Trent

Follow this link for more information about your councillors, the wards they represent, the committees they sit on, and much more. 
Local councillors are a vital part of local democracy. They represent people at grass roots level and form an important link between individual residents of the city and the council that is responsible for delivering their services.

The City is represented by 44 councillors. These are elected in a mixture of single and multi-member wards (31 single member wards, five two member wards and one three member ward).

Each ward councillor can be contacted by people living in the relevant ward to discuss issues relating to them. The councillor can then take up issues directly with council departments on their behalf. Additionally, councillors attend residents' meetings, housing association meetings and many other organised gatherings in their wards.

They also represent the council on outside bodies such as the Fire Authority, Stoke on Trent Regeneration Ltd., Mitchell Arts Centre Board of Trustees, and many more.

You can also find out more about the role of a councillor, the Register of Members' Interests and the allowances received by councillors by following the links from this page.
Stoke-on-Trent is served by three Members of Parliament (MPs), representing the constituencies of Stoke-on-Trent North, Stoke-on-Trent Central, and Stoke-on-Trent South.  The Stoke-on-Trent North constituency also covers wards from Newcastle-under Lyme Borough Council.  Parliament is based in Westminster, London, which is where MPs spend much of their time.  Follow this link for more information on your MPs, including contact details and local surgery times .
The city is covered by six Members of the European Parliament (MEPs), who represent the wider West Midlands constituency.  The European Parliament is based in Strasbourg, on the border between Germany and France.  Follow this link for more information about the region's MEPs. 
Police and crime commissioner
The Police & Crime Commissioner (PCC) is not part of the police. It is a statutory office and the individual elected is responsible for reducing crime and making the area they represent safer.

The PCC decides how much council tax people will pay towards community safety services and policing and is personally accountable for all the public money spent. They don’t run the police force on a daily basis but commission policing services from the Chief Constable who is directly employed by the PCC and answerable to them.