Antisocial behaviour

The definition of antisocial behaviour (ASB) is: any activity that causes alarm, distress or harassment to an individual or the community.

and covers:

  • All types of harassment both physical and verbal abuse/threats, whatever the motivation
  • Hate crime – harassment motivated by someone’s age, race, disability, faith or sexual orientation
  • Drug misuse and alcohol-related nuisance
  • Prostitution
  • Vandalism, graffiti and damage to property
  • Noise / neighbour nuisance

Before reporting anti-social behaviour

It is always a good thing to try to resolve the problem yourself informally before reporting the incident to the police or the council. Try talking to your neighbours by clearly and calmly stating the problem and how it is affecting you. If you are worried about approaching them, write a letter. If the problem affects other neighbours, involve them as well. It can be easier to settle a dispute if the complaint comes from a number of people. A tenants' association can help if you are a member of one or you can get practical advice from Citizens’ Advice. If your neighbour is a tenant, you could contact their landlord – this could be a housing association, the council or a private landlord.
If, however, you feel any immediate danger or the issue relates to criminal damage please call the police on their non-emergency number 101 or in an emergency only 999.

How to report anti-social behaviour

Council Tenant: Please contact your local housing office or telephone 01782 234234 and let them know you are a council tenant.

Private owned/private rented premises: Please call the dedicated antisocial behaviour hotline 0800 561 5610 or complete the on-line reporting form.

What happens next?

The anti-social behaviour team only deals with antisocial behaviour coming from home owners or private rented tenants. Incidents relating to council tenants should be reported to your local housing office.

Once your complaint has been received by the anti-social behaviour team it will be logged on our system and will have a unique case reference number assigned to it. The case will be overseen by a dedicated officer who will review your complaint and advise you of the action that can be taken.

You may be asked to complete an incident diary which builds up a picture of the problems you are experiencing and acts as evidence for any actions that we take. Copies can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

As a valued resident of Stoke-on-Trent we are very interested in what you think about the anti-social behaviour team so we can continually improve our service to you. We would be grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to complete the on-line survey and return it to the above address. If you would like to discuss any issues with us in more detail please provide your phone number on the survey and we’ll call you.

Related Files: