Sure Start children’s centres bring together a range of services for all families with children under 5 years old and extended services for children up to the age of 11. The centres bring services together in one place such as:
- early education
- health services
- IFIS Specialist
- Jobcentre Plus
This makes it easier for you and your family to get the support you need during the early years of your child’s life. You can also get advice on where to get help from a range of different professionals. Some children’s centres have childcare as part of their services and others will be able to give you up-to-date information about childcare in your area.
Children’s centres work closely with schools and other services to make sure that you continue to get help and support as your child grows. Every centre will have different services depending on what is needed in your local area and will provide services from different locations in your community.
Some of the services that may be available are:
- full day care and children’s learning development
- heath services, such as ante-natal and post-natal care, weaning service, healthy eating courses, smoking cessation and teen pregnancy support
- outreach staff bringing services and support to families who can’t get to the centre
- support for childminders, through things like childminding support networks
- support and information for families with additional needs
- links to Jobcentre Plus to help parents and carers find volunteering opportunities, work or training
- information and advice on local childcare, activities and support
- parenting advice.
You can keep up to date with what's happening in the city's children's centres by signing up for e-mail alerts.