Sure Start children’s centres bring together a range of services for all families with children under 5 years old and extended services for children up to the age of 11. The centres bring services together in one place such as:
- early education
- health services
- family support
- Jobcentre Plus
This makes it easier for you and your family to get the support you need during the early years of your child’s life. You can also get advice on where to get help from a range of different professionals. Some children’s centres have childcare as part of their services and others will be able to give you up-to-date information about childcare in your area.
Children’s centres work closely with schools and other services to make sure that you continue to get help and support as your child grows. Every centre will have different services depending on what is needed in your local area and will provide services from different locations in your community.
Some of the services that may be available are:
- full day care and children’s learning development
- heath services, such as ante-natal and post-natal care, weaning service, healthy eating courses, smoking cessation and teen pregnancy support
- outreach staff bringing services and support to families who can’t get to the centre
- support for childminders, through things like childminding support networks
- support and information for families with additional needs
- links to Jobcentre Plus to help parents and carers find volunteering opportunities, work or training
- information and advice on local childcare, activities and support
- parenting advice.
Where to find our children's centres
Here is a list of our children's centres. You can also use our website's 'locate' facility to find the centre nearest to you.
- Ball Green Children’s Centre
- Blurton Children’s Centre
- Burslem Children’s Centre
- Fenton Children’s Centre
- Hanford Children’s Centre, Trentham
- Kingsland Children’s Centre, Bucknall
- Norton Children’s Centre,
- Penkhull Children's Centre,
- Stoke-on-Trent North Children’s Centre, Chell Heath
- The Crescent Children’s Centre, Meir
- The Grange Children’s Centre, Meir
- The Hope Children’s Centre, Hanley
- Thomas Boughey Children’s Centre, Shelton
- Treehouse Children’s Centre, Bentilee
- Tunstall Children’s Centre,
- Westfield Children’s Centre, Longton
Common childhood illnesses
A guide 'Common Childhood Illnesses' is available below to download. It is a guide for parents and carers of children aged 0 to 5 years. Every parent or carer wants to know what to do when a child is ill - use this handbook to learn how to care for your child at home, when to call your GP and when to contact the Emergency Services.