Copy Certificates

The Register Office holds records for all births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that have occured in Stoke on Trent since 1837.  If the event occurred outside Stoke on Trent please make your application to the Register Office in the district where the event occurred or directly to the General Register Office.  Please be aware that the Royal Stoke University Hospital is located in Stoke on Trent.

We issue birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates at the time of registration. There are two types of birth certificate, a short certificate containing only the child's name and date of birth, issued free at registration OR a full certificate containing parental details along with the child's name and date of birth.

How can I apply for a replacement or copy certificate?


Details from the registers can be released in the form of a certified copy certificate.  This is produced at the statutory fee.  There is an additional fee if the certificate is needed on the same day or if it is from an older register.   

Please click here to view our current fees and charges.

We can issue a certificate to anyone who is able to give us the full personal details of the person whose certificate is needed.  No proof of identity is necessary.  You will need to supply us with sufficient information so that we can find the record. 

We will search indexes for a period of 3 years but only where accurate details are provided. 

  • Apply Online -  Complete an application form by clicking on the links below, an officer will contact you shortly regarding your request and to take a payment.
  • Apply for a Birth Certificate - click here
  • Apply for a Marriage Certificate - click here
  • Apply for a Death Certificate - click here
  • Apply in Person by visiting the Register Office where you can fill in the application form. Alternatively you can download and complete the application form by selecting the link at the bottom of this page and take it into the Register Office.  You can leave your completed application and payment with us and we will contact you when the certificate has been produced.
    Apply by Post. Apply in writing for certificates enclosing correct payment and a stamped address envelope. If you do not supply a stamped addressed envelope you must enclose payment for postage, If you apply by post and we can't find the certificate we will return your fee to you. If you are applying outside the UK please enclose two international reply coupons to cover the required postage or email us to request postage costs for your country. You can download and complete and application form from the link at the bottom of this page. Cheques should be made payable to Stoke on Trent City Council.

For all enquires and appointments contact us



Related Files: