To apply to become a taxi driver in Stoke-on-Trent you must:
- To be legally allowed to work in the UK
- To be aged over 18
- To have held a full UK driving licence for more than 12 months at the time you are applying for your badge
- To hold a BTEC qualification in Road Passenger Vehicle Driving. For previously-licensed drivers NVQ equivalents may be considered
- To complete a disability discrimination course
- To have passed a local knowledge test.
- To have an enhanced disclosure certificate from the enhanced disclosure and barring service (dated within three months from date of issue)
- To have a medical certificate completed by your GP dated within three months at the time you submit your driver application (subject to cost by GP surgery)
Stoke on Trent City Council will be changing its taxi policy in the New Year to require all drivers to attend safeguarding training to remain licensed. Click here for more information.
You will then need to book an appointment to submit these documents, an application form and the fee (£216.00 this is for a three-year licence). If there are any endorsements you will only be entitled to a one-year licence.
To download our application forms you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader
Your application will then be considered.
To apply for a Hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence you will need to:
- Ensure that your vehicle complies with the taxi policy specifications (see Hackney carriage and private hire policy link at the bottom of the page)
- Obtain a certificate of suitability (MOT) from our testing station
- Obtain a valid insurance certificate
- Log book or slip in the name of the licensee
You will then need to book an appointment to submit these documents, the application form and the fee £242.00 (brackets cost £26 plus £15.50 if extensions are required)
- Hackney carriage vehicle application form click here for the form
- Private hire vehicle application formclick here for the form
Once you hold a valid licence with licensing services you will need to keep us informed any changes these include:
- Accident: Tell us within 72 hours in you have a vehicle accident click here for the form. If the vehicle cannot be safely driven to licensing for inspection forms can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (insurance documents must be attached). Otherwise turn up to licensing within office hours. There are two parking bays in Bagnall Street reserved for accident inspections, they are labelled 'taxi inspection area'.
- Change of name or address: tell us within seven days if you change address/name - the current fee is £10.50 click here for the form
- Change of base/operator: tell us within seven days of changing your operating base - the current fee is £10.50 click here for the form
You can now submit change of base by e-mail. Click here to pay - follow the instructions and request an e-mail receipt to be sent to yourself
Send your e-mail receipt to email@example.com You must attach:
- Completed application form (signed by the base and the proprietor)
- Valid insurance documents (plus hire agreement if applicable)
- If any new drivers have student visa working restrictions i.e. for how many hours they may work. A signed letter from the base confirming that they will be keeping to the restrictions is also required with this application
When complete applications are submitted your new licenses will be sent to you. If anything is missing they will be returned to you. Once you receive your new licenses its your responsibility to destroy the old ones.
- New Offences - Tell us within seven days if you are charged, cautioned, convicted of an offence click here for the form
- Change of driver: Tell us within seven days if there is any change to drivers click here for the form. These can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transfer a vehicle: Tell us within 14 days of a transfer of vehicle - the current fee is £50 click here for private hire vehicle transfer form click here hackney carriage transfer form
If you sell your vehicle, rather than transferring it you will need to surrender your plates and paper licences to licensing services.
Appointments are required to submit all forms at licensing except accidents and new offences. Call 01782 232774 to book.
If you wish to apply for a private hire operators licence see the guidance notes and application form below.
- Private Hire Operator Application form click here to view this form
- Private Hire Operator Guidanceclick here to view this guidance
|Are you a taxi driver in Stoke-on-Trent? Sign up to get e-mail news about changes which could affect you by clicking here.|
Licensing team, Stoke-on-Trent City Council
Hanley Town Hall
- Monday 9am until 4.45pm
- Tuesday 9am until 4.45pm
- Wednesday 9am until 4.45pm
- Thursday 9am until 4.45pm
- Friday 9am until 4.15pm
- Saturday - CLOSED
- Sunday - CLOSED
We will be closed on the following dates between 9am and 11am:
13 January 2016
9 March 2016
To view our public registers for licensed drivers, vehicles and operators click here to view our public register.