To apply to become a taxi driver in Stoke-on-Trent you must be/have:
- Legally allowed to work in the UK
- Aged over 18
- Held a full UK driving licence for more than 12 months at the time you are applying for your badge (card or old style paper licence)
- Attended a safeguarding level 1 course - click here for course details
- Passed the Driver and Vehicle Standard Agency Equivilent (DVSA) taxi driving test: blue lamp trust or advance motoring
- BTEC qualification in Road Passenger Vehicle Driving. For previously-licensed drivers NVQ equivalents may be considered
- Completed a disability discrimination course
- Passed a local knowledge test.
- A enhanced disclosure certificate from the enhanced disclosure and barring service (dated within three months from date of issue)
- A medical certificate completed by your GP dated within four months at the time you submit your driver application (subject to cost by GP surgery)
You will then need to book an appointment to submit documented proof of the above, an application form and the fee (£216 this is for a three-year licence). If there are any endorsement or convictions may be referred to panel only be entitled to a one-year licence.
To apply for a Hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence you must:
- Ensure your vehicle complies with the taxi policy specifications (see Hackney carriage and private hire policy link at the bottom of the page)
- Obtain an MOT from our testing station
- Obtain a valid insurance certificate
- Log book or slip in the name of the licensee
Book an appointment to submit these documents, the application form and £242 fee (brackets cost £26 plus £15.50 if extensions are required)
- Click here for the Hackney carriage vehicle application form
- Click here for the private hire vehicle application form
If the vehicle cannot be safely driven to licensing for inspection, e-mail the forms to firstname.lastname@example.org with your insurance documents.
If the vehicle can bring driven, bring it to our office during opening hours. There are two parking bays in Bagnall Street reserved for accident inspections, labelled 'taxi inspection area'.
Click here to tell us about a change of base/operator within seven days of changing your operating base - cost £10.50.
Click here if you want to pay for a change of base request online. You must request an e-mail receipt to be sent to yourself and then forward this to us at email@example.com with:
- Completed application form (signed by the base and the proprietor)
- Valid insurance documents (plus hire agreement if applicable)
- If any new drivers have student visa working restrictions i.e. for how many hours they may work. A signed letter from the base confirming that they will be keeping to the restrictions is also required with this application
Once you receive your new licenses you must destroy the old ones.
- Click here to tell us within seven days if you are charged, cautioned, or convicted of an offence.
- Click here to tell us within seven days about a change of driver or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tell us within 14 days of a transfer of vehicle - the current fee is £50. Click here for private hire vehicle transfer form or click here hackney carriage transfer form.
If you sell your vehicle, rather than transferring it you must return your plates and paper licences to us.
Appointments are required to submit all forms at licensing except accidents and new offences. Call 01782 232774 to book.
If you wish to apply for a private hire operators licence see the guidance notes and application form below.
- Click here for the private hire operator application form.
- Click here for the private hire operator guidance.
|Are you a taxi driver in Stoke-on-Trent? Sign up to get e-mail news about changes which could affect you by clicking here.|
Licensing team, Stoke-on-Trent City Council
Hanley Town Hall
- Monday 9am until 4.45pm
- Tuesday 9am until 4.45pm
- Wednesday 9am until 4.45pm
- Thursday 9am until 4.45pm
- Friday 9am until 4.15pm
- Saturday - CLOSED
- Sunday - CLOSED