Do I need a Street Collection Permit?
If you intend to collect donations in an area where the public has access, you need a Street Collection Permit. Donationscan be in the form of money or any agreement to make a donation, such as a direct debit agreement.
Registered charities and non-registered organisations with a ‘charitable purpose’ can benefit from the proceeds of a collection.
If you are not sure if your organisation has ‘charitable purposes’, then please contact us for advice. Generally, we expectcharitable organisations to be not for profit or for private gain.
If you collect money from premises, such as offices or public houses, you need a [house to house collection licence].
Who is eligible for a Street Collection Permit?
- Any member of the ‘charitable’ organisation.
- Anyone who is not a member of the ‘charitable’ organisation but, who has written permission to collect on their behalf.
- Any professional fundraiser who can provide a copy of the contract between the ‘charitable’ organisation and them.
How can I get a Street Collection Permit?
To make an application download the application form.
When do I need to apply?
You must apply at least 28 days before the intended collection.
Demand for permits is high at Christmas, so please apply in good time or we may not be able to meet your request.
How much does it cost?
There is no charge for a Street Collection Permit.
After I’ve got my permit, what do I have to do?
- Read the conditions attached to your permit carefully.
- Hold your collection
- Send us a return detailing your proceeds and any expenses incurred.
What is the relevant legislation?
Police Factories etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916
Where can i find further information?
To download our application forms you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader
The Licensing team are based at:
PO Box 2452
Hanley Town Hall
Fax: 01782 232773
• Monday 09.00am until 16.45pm
• Tuesday 09.00am until 16.45pm
• Wednesday 09.00 until 16.45pm
• Thursday 09.00am until 16.45pm
• Friday 09.00 until 16.15pm
• Saturday - CLOSED
• Sunday - CLOSED