Gambling Act 2005

The Gambling Act 2005 replaces most of the existing law about Gambling in Great Britain and puts in place an improved, more comprehensive structure of gambling regulation.

All responsibility for the granting of gaming and betting permissions has been taken from the licensing justices, and will now be shared by the Gambling Commission and the City Council as a licensing authority. 

Our Statement of Licensing Principles has now been adopted for 2016-2019 click here to view it 

The three Gambling Licensing objectives are:

  • Preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime;
  • Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way; and,
  • Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

The new Act came into force on 1 September 2007. Premises had their new licences in place beforehand.

Who will be affected?

Under the Gambling Act 2005, a Premise Licence is required for any of the following types of premise:

  • Casino
  • Bingo Hall
  • Betting Shop
  • Betting (track) these are sporting venues, not just race tracks
  • Amusement Arcades.

There are six types of Premise Licences:

  • Casino Premise Licence
  • Bingo Premise Licence
  • Betting (Track) Premise Licence
  • Betting (other) Premise Licence
  • Adult Gaming Centres (for category B3, C and D gaming machines)
  • Family Entertainment Centres (for category C and D gaming machines

Click here for the Gambling Premise Licence Form

Click here for the Gambling Premise Licence Guidance

There are also Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centres, which can only have category D gaming machines. Category D machines are the existing section 34(1)’s and category C gaming machines are the existing section 34 (5E)’s.

Here are the most common permits that are relevant to Stoke-on-Trent:

If you want to apply then please read the guidance notes, complete the application form, serve notice on the responsible authorites and advertise your application.  

Click here for the Responsible Authorities List

Click here to view our Gambling Act public register 

Lotteries and Raffles

Licensing Small Society Lotteries

All Small Society Lotteries require registration under the Gambling Act 2005. This Registration is needed when your organisation intends to sell printed raffle tickets in advance of the date on which the draw will take place. The Small Society Lottery registration is mainly for charitable purposes.  


All Small Society Lotteries must be registered with the Local Authority in which its head office is situated.

You can apply for a licence using the application form below:

The completed application form should be returned with the £40.00 for initial registration.

The registration runs for an unlimited period unless the registration is cancelled. An annual renewal fee of £20.00 has to be paid within 2 months prior to the anniversary date of the initial registration. These fees are set by the Government.

Please visit the Gambling Commission website to ensure that your organisation qualifies under the regulations before you complete the application form. After you have returned the application form with the £40 fee, you will receive confirmation if the licence is deemed granted.

Lottery Submission

The Gambling Commission’s Licensing Conditions and Code of Practice require that for each small society lottery held, a lottery submission must be made to the Local Authority within three months of the date of the determination of the lottery. You can download the lottery return form below.

Ticket information

All tickets in a society registered with a local authority must state:

  • the name of the society on whose behalf the lottery is being promoted; 
  •  the price of the ticket; 
  • the name and address of the member of the society responsible for the promotion of the lottery.
  • the fact that the society is registered with the local authority.  
  • the date of the draw, or the means by which the date may be determined.

Tickets which are issued through a form of remote communication or any other electronic manner must specify this information to the purchaser of the ticket and ensure that the message can be either retained or printed.

Private, Work or Residents' Lottery

If you feel it is not worthwhile paying £40 for a licence you can still raise funds but need to restrict your sale of tickets. You can do this by holding a ‘private’, ‘work’ or ‘residents’ lottery where tickets are confined to members of a club, society or institution etc. With this type of lottery, you cannot sell tickets to the public at large.

Non-commercial Lottery

You can also raise funds by running an incidental non-commercial lottery for which no permit or registration is required. These types of lotteries are exempt from registration if:

  • No proceeds from the event will be used for the purposes of private gain.
  • The lottery is promoted wholly for a purpose other than that of private gain (i.e. for a charitable purpose or good cause).
  • The promoters of the lottery will not be deducting more than £500 from the proceeds in respect of the cost of prizes.
  • The promoters of the lottery will not be deducting more than £100 from the proceeds in respect of the cost of other expenses.
  • There will be no lottery roll over.                                                                          
  • Tickets will only be sold during the event and on the premises where the event is being held.
  • The results will be made public while the event is taking place.

* The Gambling Commission regulates gambling in the public interest. It does so by keeping crime out of gambling be ensuring that gambling is productive fairly and openly, and by protecting children and vulnerable people from being harmed or exploited by gambling. The Commission also provide independent advice to goverment on gambling in Britain.

To read the files you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.


Our contact details

Licensing Service
Hanley Town Hall
Albion Street

Tel: 01782 232774


Opening times

Appointments available:

  • Monday 9am until 4.45pm
  • Tuesday 9am until 4.45pm
  • Wednesday 9am until 4.45pm
  • Thursday 9am until 4.45pm
  • Friday 9am until 4.15pm
  • Saturday - CLOSED
  • Sunday - CLOSED