We deal with motor vehicles, trailers, or caravans that have been abandoned on roads, pavements or on land in the city.
How to tell if the vehicle is abandoned
A vehicle is usually abandoned if it:
- does not have or appear to have an owner;
- has not moved location for a long time;
- does not display a current tax disc - although this alone does not mean a vehicle is abandoned; or
- is open and a target for vandalism or could be a danger to the public.
Burnt-out or stolen vehicles
If a vehicle has been burnt out or you think it may have been stolen please report it to Staffordshire Police on telephone 08453 302010.
Reporting an abandoned vehicle
Contact us if you read the information on this page and think a vehicle may be abandoned.
- Fill in our online form by following this link* to report an abandoned vehicle;
- e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- phone 01782 232067 or 01782 234234.
Please provide as much of the following information as you can about the vehicle:
- registration number;
- make, model and colour;
- location; and
- the date and time it was abandoned.
While we strive to keep the information that you supply on our online forms secure, please be aware that the Internet is not a fully secure medium. We use secure servers for sensitive information such as credit card numbers and this may in the future, be used for the capture of all personal information.
What we will do
We inspect the vehicle usually within 24 hours of your report. We take photographs and decide whether or not the vehicle is abandoned and could be a danger to the public.
We will try to contact the owner or keeper to confirm whether or not the vehicle is abandoned. We attach a notice to the vehicle and write to the keeper or owner to request that they move the vehicle or contact us within 14 days. If it's clear that the vehicle is abandoned or is dangerous, we will attach a notice to it and remove it within 24 hours.
We keep removed vehicles in our compound for 21 days. During this time we contact the owner or keeper to give them the
opportunity to collect the vehicle. After this time vehicles that are not collected are scrapped.