We are responsible for routine emptying and emergency clearance of grids and drainage when flooding of roads or pavements happens.
You are responsible for protecting your own property from flooding. Sandbags should be sourced from
local builders merchants if required.
The grids are cleaned on average once a year. However, after a reported blocked grid has been inspected, additional cleaning can be arranged if there is a possible risk of damage to the property.
Public and private sewers
to report flooding from public sewers (dirty water)
- you will need to contact Severn Trent Water on 0800 783 4444 to report flooding from private sewers or drains and also any leaks
- if your private drain are overflowing you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage
- if you are uncertain if it is a public or privare blockage Severn Trent Water will be able to determine this, once on site
- You will be recharged for the cost of any work carried out on a private sewer
to report a blocked grid you will need the following information:
- the exact location of the problem grid
- your name, address, telephone number and email address
- a brief description of the problem
Please contact Stoke-on-Call on 01782 234234 or visit your nearest local centre to report any problems with blocked grids or gullies.
For regular updates in relation to flood warnings you can follow the following people on Twitter:
- Staffs prepared: https://twitter.com/StaffsPrepared
- Environment Agency: https://twitter.com/EnvAgencyMids
- Met Office: https://twitter.com/metoffice
- Stoke-on-Trent City Council: https://twitter.com/SoTCityCouncil
Environment Agency's campaign
The 'nationwide' public campaign starts on 15 October and urges people to prepare for flooding.
The campaign will run for four weeks until 9 November. Each week of the campaign will have a different
Each week, their website homepage will feature a flood banner, a video of one of our new personal flood stories and links to relevant materials. We will also be updating our flood webpage to include new materials that have been produced for the campaign. Click here to visit their website
Please see the promotional materials about the campaign attached below.