Imagine a grand plan which promises to create a nationally and internationally renowned centre for educational excellence that attracts students, raises educational standards, creates and retains a skilled workforce and attracts business investment to Stoke-on-Trent. That’s UniQ.
The University Quarter (UniQ) is an ambitious regeneration project which brings together a unique collaboration between the city council and Stoke-on-Trent’s three key educational partners. We all share a vision of breaking down barriers to give everyone the chance to achieve their full potential. And they are all working together to ensure the brightest possible future for the city.
The ambition is to invest in world class education facilities within the University Quarter, a place where the local community will want to go to develop and enhance their skills. This wealth of highly skilled people will attract new businesses to the region and will fuel the growth of existing businesses, laying the long term foundations for economic regeneration across Stoke-on-Trent and North Staffordshire.
The extensive development stretches from Stoke-on-Trent’s main railway station through the campuses of City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College, Staffordshire University and Stoke-on-Trent College up to the city centre. The University Quarter features a collection of state-of-the-art new buildings creating a vibrant urban scene, but education is at the heart of UniQ’s development and its impact is expected to be far reaching and powerful.
UniQ aims to:
- give people from all backgrounds access to new learning and training opportunities
- offer direct support for those with dreams of setting up their own businesses, as well as making the area even more attractive to potential employers
- attract investment to the region, which will play a vital role in economic regeneration as well as meeting the skills needs of North Staffordshire's workforce
- create a series of shared flagship educational facilities
- support the rejuvenation of the South Shelton residential area
- improve the quality of life of local people by working with residents, businesses, community groups and organisations to meet their needs
For more information visit www.uniq-stoke.org.uk.