School’s Vision and Ethos
The St. Peter’s Academy is sponsored by The Diocese of Lichfield and the Woodard Trust, and was established in September 2011 to deliver transformational education, replacing St. Peter’s High School and Berry Hill High School. It is currently operating from two sites (Penkhull and Bucknall).
The St Peter’s Academy is a mixed 11-16 academy and is committed to providing a world class education within a clear Christian ethos which purposefully serves the wide and diverse needs of the community of Stoke-on-Trent.
The Academy has high aspirations for all, and acknowledges that all students are individuals. It’s highly experienced staff challenge, support and motivate each student to achieve their full potential. The unique “Chapter” organisation of the Academy puts students and their families at the centre of its provision.
Design and Construction (Thomas Vale)
The BSF programme is delivering a new building for the St. Peter’s Academy. Centrally located at Fenton Manor, it will act as a symbolic beacon of the Sponsors’ vision: ‘An Academy at the heart of the City with Faith at the heart of the Academy’.
Construction started at the end of 2011 and the new building is on track to be completed by September 2013. It will provide facilities for up to 1,200 students aged 11-16. Post 16 provision can also be made through close links with the City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College and other providers.
Key features of the design include:
• A dedicated Year 7 Chapter area
• A Faith Centre for small group worship and personal reflection
• Flexible learning spaces
• An assembly, performance and sports hall with seating for 1,300
• Cutting edge ICT
• Lots of open spaces for lecture-style lessons, project based work, small group learning and work rooms for one-to-one mentoring and support
• Gardens for teaching, relaxing and reflection
• Extensive sports facilities including an Astroturf, football pitches, volleyball courts, a grass athletics track, a cricket pitch and excellent changing facilities
• High quality catering facilities and a spacious dining area
• Access to facilities at the Fenton Manor Sports Centre and close links with the City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College to enable shared use of sports pitches and progression opportunities
• Community also has extensive use of the facilities.