The constitution sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made and the procedures which are followed to ensure
that these are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people. Some of these processes are required by the law, while
others are a matter for the council to choose.
The Constitution is divided into seven parts which can be viewed or downloaded by following this
- Constitution Part 1 - Summary and Explanation
- Constitution Part 2 - Articles of the Constitution
- Constitution Part 3 - Responsibility for Functions
- Constitution Part 4 - Procedure Rules
- Constitution Part 5 - Codes and Protocols
- Constitution Part 6 - Members' Allowances Scheme
- Constitution Part 7 - Management Structure
Decision-making is underpinned by a framework of policies, plans and strategies. These are collectively referred to as
the Policy Framework, and form part of the Constitution. You can find out more about the Policy Framework by following
the link on this page.
You will need adobe acrobat reader to open these files, which is available as a free download from the Adobe internet
site at www.adobe.com