The Constitution sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made and the procedures which are followed to ensure
that these are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people. Some of these processes are required by the law, while
others are a matter for the council to choose.
The Constitution is divided into seven parts:-
- Constitution Part 1 - Summary and Explanation
- Constitution Part 2 - Articles of the Constitution
- Constitution Part 3 - Responsibility for Functions
- Constitution Part 4 - Procedure Rules
- Constitution Part 5 - Codes and Protocols
- Constitution Part 6 - Members' Allowances Scheme
- Constitution Part 7 - Management Structure
The Constitution is available as a pdf document to view or download from this page. You will need adobe acrobat reader
to open this file, which is available as a free download from the Adobe internet site at www.adobe.com
Decision-making is underpinned by a framework of policies, plans and strategies. These are collectively referred to as
the Policy Framework, and form part of the Constitution. You can find out more about the Policy Framework by following
the link on this page.