The first in a series of music concerts across the West Midlands launching the start of the official Cultural Olympiad will take place next month in Stoke-on-Trent.
The concert, entitled An American Adventure, will star the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra and take place at the Victoria Hall in the City Centre on Friday March 2, 2012. It is the first of six concerts taking place in the region to form part of the Music Nation weekend.
Music Nation is a weekend of live music devised and led by the BBC and the first nationwide countdown event for the London 2012 Festival. Music Nation is an unprecedented collaboration of the UK's orchestral and music-making communities. It is the first major Cultural Olympiad event of 2012.
The concert will star Japanese pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii who will perform Chopin's Piano Concert No.1, in a delightful programme of American-influenced music.
Councillor Mark Meredith, cabinet member for economic development, said: “The final build up to this year’s Olympic Games is getting underway and this is the first of a really exciting period for the city. I hope the concert gets a great turnout as it is set to be a spectacular musical experience."
The concert starts at 8pm and tickets cost between £13.50 and £29.50.The performance will also be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on Saturday March 3, 2012 at 3pm.
For more information, or to book tickets visit www.bbc.co.uk/orchestras/events/957. For more information about Music Weekend visit www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/musicnation.shtml.
The full list of West Midlands Music Nation performances is:-
• Friday 2 March, 8pm An American Adventure with the BBC Philharmonic at Victoria Hall in Stoke-on-Trent.
• Friday 2 March, 7.30pm A programme of music presented by the Birmingham Contemporary Music Group (BCMG) at the CBSO centre in Birmingham.
• Saturday 3 March, 7.30pm, Academy of Ancient Music present a programme of world class music at Ludlow Assembly Rooms.
• Saturday 3 March, 4pm, The CBSO performs Wagner’s Tristan and Isolde at Symphony Hall, Birmingham.
• Saturday 3 March, 7.30pm. Choir with No Name performs at Carrs Lane Church in Birmingham.
• Sunday 4 March, 3pm: The Northern Chamber Orchestra and Raphael Wallfisch perform at St Mary’s Church, Shrewsbury.
For all media enquiries contact Steven Kennedy in the Communications Department at Stoke-on-Trent City Council on 01782 232987.